Friday, September 23, 2011

Rebirth, Part Two

I know that I've already written about the death of our quirky town newspaper and the advent of a new town newspaper that has filled the void this year. But it's happened again!

When I was a student at BYU in the 1980s, a few adventurous souls started up an independent student newspaper called the Student Review. I ate up every issue. I loved that it existed! Students kept it going for at least a dozen years--surviving quite a bit of turbulence--before it folded.

Today, I sat down and browsed the very first issue of a new era of the Student Review. This, from the first letter from the editors, makes me smile:

"We at the Student Review believe that a true education can only occur through the interaction of different ideas and viewpoints, an interaction we have hoped to facilitate in the pages you are currently holding. We hope it will spur you to new thoughts, increased conversation both at home and in the classroom and if nothing else, a lot of laughter."

Amen and amen.

No comments: