Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Lesson

Today I was the substitute teacher for Jack's class at church. We talked about Jesus' resurrection.

At one point, I asked the kids to tell me words that could describe how his disciples must have felt when Jesus died. As the request came out of my mouth, I wondered what one of Jack's classmates would think. She lost her mom in a car accident last winter.

"Sad," said one boy. "Hopeless," said someone else. I wrote the words on the chalkboard.

"Devastated," she said.

We read 1 Corinthians 15:22 and talked about what Jesus' resurrection means. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. And then we came up with a list of words to describe how his disciples must have felt when they realized Jesus was with them again.

Happy. Hopeful. Restored.

I am a disciple like Thomas. It's hard for me to believe things I haven't seen for myself. But today what I did see was this girl's eyes shining brightly as we talked. Happy. Hopeful. And they reminded me why I choose faith.

1 comment:

Steve and Stace said...

What a perfect faith promoting moment. That warmed my heart reading that. :)