Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Irony

Another short and sweet. Totally exhausted. I think I might have run a marathon today.

While I waited for my class to show up in the classroom at the jail, I worked on grading papers for my UVU students. They'd written personal narratives about significant events in their lives. I opened up my folder and started reading the first paper in the stack. A student had written about spending time in jail, likely the very jail I was sitting in at that very moment.

One of the topics we're talking about in my class at the jail is how to go about getting more education, and UVU is a really good option. When the inmates arrived, I told them about the paper. "Here is a story about a woman who was once exactly where you are and is now one of my university students."

That's the kind of coincidence that doesn't totally feel like a coincidence.

No comments: