Friday, September 30, 2011

As Good Luck Would Have It

Roger and I drove down to Cedar City, home of the internationally renowned Utah Shakespeare Festival, for some Utah Library Association meetings today.

As good luck would have it, we had the chance to hear Fred Adams, founder of the festival, speak during lunch. He was utterly engaging as he shared all sorts of tidbits about Shakespeare, including many words and phrases coined by Shakespeare. Like "as good luck would have it" (The Merry Wives of Windsor, 1600).

After lunch, we visited special collections at the university library and feasted our eyes on their first edition folio of Shakespeare's work, printed at the request of Shakespeare himself when he discovered people were printing up (very badly) transcribed copies of his plays.


Days like today remind me that I really do live "a charmed life" (Macbeth, 1605). Not that I have a problem with "too much of a good thing" (As You Like It, 1600).

1 comment:

Kazzy said...

Yes, that Mr. Adams is a great public speaker who can get anyone excited about Shakespeare. :)

ps I am sorry I was so abrupt with Roger about the library board/foundation thing he mentioned to me yesterday over at the jr high. Between my calling and job and family I am totally tapped out. I fear I was rude. I apologize if I was. You guys are awesome!